MAC Red Lipstick Comparisons - Russian Red vs. Lady Danger vs. Ruby Woo

10:00 Lindsay Kate 2 Comments

                                           L-R: Russian Red, Lady Danger, Ruby Woo

As you can tell by the title, I thought I'd go ahead and compare three of the most popular red Mac lipstick shades: Russian Red, Lady Danger and Ruby Woo. These red shades may look similar, but they all have slightly different finishes and undertones.

Thought this may be helpful if you're maybe um-img and ah-ing over which red tone shade to get out of the three or would just like to see them on. See below for more pictures!

Colours

In terms of colour, these all have different undertones to them.  

Russian Red comes off as a deep toned red on my pale skintone which looks a bit vampy. Quite a classic cool toned red with a dark sexy twist. Looks like a pin up shade which would be good for a night out and would suit a lot of different skin tones.

Lady Danger is probably my favourite of the three. It's an orange based red which really brightens up my face and is surprisingly flattering on my pale skin tone. I feel like this one is a great all rounder, always brightens up my all black outfits and can be easily pulled off day to night.


Finally, Ruby Woo is an iconic classic (very) matte blue based red shade. For me, I can really see the berry undertones in this lipstick, especially in the close up shots. I feel that it is different from any other lipsticks that I have and very bright, not for the faint hearted!

Formulas 

They are all matte shades but I find them to all have different matte formulas. 
Ruby Woo is a classic matte that is very drying on the lips and does slightly 'tug' when applying with the bullet. I would highly recommend that you exfoliate your lips beforehand and add a lip balm too. The upside of it being completely matte is that this thing won't budge. Guaranteed your lips will be a bit stained when you come to take it off but I count that as a good thing as I do love a long lasting lippie.
Lady Danger I feel is the least 'matte' matte formula of them all. For me, it actually feels really moisturing on the lips for a matte shade and I think it has a perfect balance of pigment, matte-ness and comfort. Saying that though, you'll probably need to top this one up the most.
Russian Red I would say is somewhere in the middle of those two matte formulas, although definitely not as drying as Ruby Woo but does have great long lasting power. Still a matte formula but with a very slight hint of moisture almost? And I do find that this one bleeds into my lips more than the others so a lip liner beforehand is a must. 




                                       Top - Bottom: Russian Red, Lady Danger, Ruby Woo


I hope you enjoyed this post! Let me know in the comments what your favourite Mac lipstick is? I'm always looking for new recommendations!

Thanks for reading! Lindsay Kate xo
Stop wishing. Start doing.

2 comments: